March 26, 2008

Speech without vague language

In the past few days I have begun to atone one for my private failings, cheating on my wife, Silda, and my children, and my entire family. The remorse I feel about lying to my family will always be with me. I am grateful for the love and compassion my family has shown me. Because I was given much: the love of my family, the faith and trust of the people of New York, and the chance to lead this state, people expected truth from me. To every New Yorker, and to all those who believed in what I tried to stand for, I sincerely apologize for being a client of a prostitution ring, breaking the law and deceiving everyone.
I look at my time as governor with a sense of what might have been, but I also know that as a public servant I, and the remarkable people have accomplished a great deal. My liaison disrupted the people’s work. Over the course of my public life, I have insisted that I regardless of my position or power would take responsibility for my conduct. I will be accountable for my actions. As I did not accomplish what I have said, I am resigning from the office of governor. At Lt. Gov. Paterson's request, the resignation will be effective Monday, March 17, a date that he believes will permit an orderly transition.
I go forward with the belief, that as human being my greatest glory consists in never falling, but in rising every time I fall. As I leave public life, I will first expiate the treendous pain I caused to my family. Then I will try once again, outside of politics, to serve the common good and to move toward the ideals and solutions which I believe can build a future of hope and opportunity. I hope all of New York will join my prayers for my friend, David Paterson, as he embarks on his new mission, and I thank the public once again for the privilege electing me as a governor.

No comments: